Wondering what to do with those old or broken holiday decorations once the holiday is over?
SEE WRAPPING & PACKAGING TIPS HERE
Most holiday decorations cannot go in your recycling cart, but many communities offer recycling drop-offs. Check with your local city or community recycling center to see if they will take them, and see a few ideas below.
String light recycling
Christmas tree recycling
- Travis County: (December 26 – January 10) Free Christmas tree recycling for Travis County residents at five locations, 7am–5pm. Make sure your tree does not have any decorations or netting on it. See more on their recycling web page.
- City of Austin: (starting December 26th) curbside tree pickup, plus drop-off at Zilker Park on certain dates; see City of Austin's Holiday Tree Recycling page.
- City of Dallas: Place curbside with Brush and Bulky Items, or drop off at locations listed on their website.
- City of Denton: Denton's Solid Waste & Recycling is offering drop-off or curbside pickup (with call to schedule) to compost your tree. See more details on Facebook here.
- City of El Paso: Trees can be dropped off at five Citizen Collection Stations listed here (type "Christmas tree" in the search).
- City of San Antonio: (first two weeks of January) five locations for drop-off. See details on their website.